Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Handmade Ribbon Collection





I wanted to share more photos of our booth in Charlotte at the Metrolina show this past weekend and show you my new favorite project. Actually this is a two part project that I just love and it attracted a lot of attention at the show. I am excited to present my first handmade ribbon collection. These ribbons are all hand stamped on ivory muslin, blue denim (yes, from recycled bluejeans...the worn fabric has a beautiful, soft texture) and burlap. I love the color and texture combination together, and all the edges are either pinked or hand fringed. Some are stamped with keys, chandeliers, birds, laurel wreaths and script. I even have one bride-to-be considering it for her wedding! I loved the idea, since she didn't want the typical satin ribbon look, and has a very Provencal sort of theme. This would be great around a gift, embellishing a floral arrangement or wreath and the little bird themes would be so sweet on an Easter basket. I even had a Grandmother purchase some for her granddaughter's hair! You can see in the photo above how I tied off a stack of old books with a piece (more about the books later, too). Although I intend to sell it in 3 yard lengths, I have been selling it by the yard so far and just snip off the desired yardage right there in the booth, and drop in a brown paper lunch sack, which is the perfect size for a small purchase.
Part two of the project are the ribbon organizers made from old sewing machine drawers. These two drawers are the prettiest shade of blue and have some decorative detail that you can't really see in the photo. I had Rory cut a slit along the side to string the ribbon through and control the unraveling, and then he made notches in both sides of the ends, placing a hand turned dowel inside with the wound ribbon. It is so great to have a handy guy around that can help me with projects!
I liked the concept of having collections to compliment each other and to make a stronger visual merchandising impact. I have lots of thoughts about where I want to take this idea from here using all kinds of fabrics, colors, textures and graphics. You know that most retailers know by June what kind of Christmas collections they will be showing, so it is certainly not too early to be thinking in those terms now if you are a crafter or artist.
I'm off to the craft room...
Lee Ann

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Great idea! And I love your display boxes. I hope you racked up a lot of sales.